This recipe is a thicker chili with beans for heartiness but also the mix of chilis and spices are delightful – cinnamon, yes, cinnamon in this one! Enjoy!
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 1/4 pounds ground turkey
2-4 ounce cans canned green chile peppers, chopped
2-14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes, drained
1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
ground cayenne pepper to taste
ground white pepper to taste
3 (15 ounce) cans cannellini beans
4-5 cups chicken broth (to your desired consistency)
~1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese (optional)
8 lime wedges (optional)
- In a large pot over medium heat, combine the onion and garlic and sauté for 3-4 minutes; add ground turkey and sauté until turkey is cooked.
- Add the chile peppers, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, cayenne pepper to taste and white pepper to taste and sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Add two cans of the beans and the chicken broth to the pot.
- Take the third can of beans and puree them in a blender or food processor (or mash well in lieu of a processor). Add this to the pot. Stir well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes and lime juice.
- Serve topped with chopped cilantro, lime wedge, and cheese (optional).
Serving size is about 1.5 cups and this recipe makes~5-6 servings
21 Day Fix containers: depending on serving size this is about 3/4 serving of protein/red, 1 yellow/carb, 1 veggie/green. If you top with cheese, measure in your healthy fat/blue container and count accordingly.