This Cajun-style Chicken Gumbo uses lean chicken breast meat in place of high-fat sausage, and is thickened with arrowroot instead of butter and flour. If fresh okra is not available in your local market, frozen okra will work just as well.
Makes 8 servings
- 1 Tbsp . olive oil
- 1 medium onion , chopped
- 2 medium carrots , coarsely chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk , chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper , chopped
- 4 cloves garlic , finely chopped
- 1½ lbs . raw chicken breast , boneless, skinless, cut into 1-inch strips
- 2 Tbsp . arrowroot (or corn starch)
- 3 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- ½ tsp . dried thyme
- ½ tsp . ground black pepper
- 2 tsp . hot pepper sauce (like Tabasco®)
- 8 oz . medium okra , sliced into ½-inch pieces (about 1 cup)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
Heat oil in large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add onion, carrots, celery, and bell pepper; cook, stirring frequently, for 5 to 6 minutes, or until onion softens.
Add garlic and chicken; cook, stirring frequently, for 4 to 5 minutes. Set aside.
Add arrowroot to broth; whisk to blend.
Slowly whisk broth into chicken mixture; cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, or until mixture thickens slightly. The mixture should not be lumpy.
Add bay leaf, thyme, pepper, and hot sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium; cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
Add okra; cook, stirring frequently, for 10 to 15 additional minutes. Remove bay leaf.
Serve about ¾ cup over ½ cup of rice.
Portion Fix Containers: ½ Green, 1 Yellow, ½ Red, ½ tsp
The following two tabs change content below.
Latest posts by Jenny (see all)
- Tackle Game Day Temptations - February 2, 2021
- Staying Healthy During the Pandemic - May 22, 2020
- Free At Home Workouts - March 20, 2020