I love this Quinoa and Black Bean Salad recipe based on the one in the 21 Day Fix cookbook called Fixate (with one of my own tweaks to make it even better)! Sometimes a quinoa salad can be a little dry or bland so I am pretty picky about a recipe I will share. This one passes my finicky test! People will have no idea that it is actually healthy for them because it tastes so good!
Serves 12 (1/2 cup each) Prep Time: 30min. Cooking Time: 12 min.
- Fresh lime juice from 2 limes
- 1/2 Tbsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp. sea salt (or Himalayan salt)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 can (15-oz) black beans drained, rinsed
- 2 1/2 tsp. red wine vinegar (ground pepper to taste; optional)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup dry quinoa, rinsed
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium orange bell pepper, chopped
- 13/4 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1/2 to 1 (depending on your taste) bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- Combine lime juice, cumin, and salt in a medium bowl; whisk to blend.
- Slowly add oil, while whisking constantly. Set aside.
- Combine beans, vinegar, and pepper (if desired) in a medium bowl; mix well. Set aside.
- Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Add quinoa. Reduce heat to a medium-low; cook, covered, for 10-12 minutes, or until all the water has been absorbed. Remove from heat. Cool for 15-30 minutes. Set aside.
- Place cooled quinoa in a large bowl. Fluff with a fork.
- Add bell peppers, corn, cilantro, bean mixture, and dressing; toss gently to blend.
Container equivalents: 1/2 green, 1 yellow, 1 teaspoons
NUTRITONAL INFORMATION(per serving): Calories: 261 Total Fat: 8 g Saturated Fat: 1 g Cholesterol: 0 mg Sodium: 578 mg Carbohydrates: 38 g Fiber: 8 g Sugars: 2 g Protein 10 g