A pasta recipe that has no carbs? Yup, you can make this pasta recipe with zucchini noodles and have a filling meal of veggies and protein! This is one of my favorite recipes and my kids love the shrimp. My sauce comes out different every time since I season it to my liking – feel free to do the same.
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
5 garlic cloves, minced
1 lb raw shrimp, shelled
1 (28 oz) can crushed or pureed tomatoes (low sodium, no added sugar)
1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes (low sodium, no added sugar)
3 Pinches sugar
Oregano, salt and black pepper
12 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Coat a saucepan with 3 tablespoons of the oil and warm over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until soft.
- Add the shrimp and cook for 2 minutes each side and remove immediately to avoid overcooking.
- Leave juices and garlic in pan.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar; season with oregano, salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat up slightly to medium and simmer the sauce for at least 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the basil and the remaining olive oil and simmer very low for 10 minutes up to 1 hour for best flavor.
- Toss with pasta (or zucchini noodles as shown here) and cooked shrimp.
Yield: 6-8 servings
21 Day Fix: Measure 1/2 to 1 green/veggie of sauce, 1 red/protein of shrimp and regular pasta will count as a yellow/carb (measure in yellow container cooked) and using zucchini noodles would be another veggie (1/2 to 1 green depending on your serving size).